|Retail LPG Use in India in Millions: Industry Source|
|LPG Cooking in Hyderbad India: by D. Barnes|
Most LPG is distributed either through private or state run oil or gas companies in most developing countries. What are the policies that they should follow to make LPG accessible to poor households? These actually have been well spelled out by some successful program. The include
- Provide subsidies for the LPG stove to encourage adoption (but free may be a bit over the top);
- Sell LPG at market rates so that it does not raise fuelwood prices in urban areas;
- Do not excessively subsidize LPG because it will be siphoned off into areas such as transport and diverted from the household market;
- Develop a program to distribute it in small more affordable bottles or cylinders; and
- Extend promotion to rural areas if there is a viable market.